On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Thursday, December 01, 2005

Day 11 - Fighting Back

Sometimes, to galvanise the real fighting spirit that some people have, they need a little setback. Yesterday's episode has done that for cleo. The hospital did another Doppler test today and declared they cannot find a clot in her leg, and so having been given the all-clear at lunchtime she is back in her wheelchair.

James came and took her to physiotherapy again, and she has told him she wants him to really work her hard. That is exactly what he is doing: just over an hour today. We are already seeing results. Minor movements are coming back in her leg, and as James explained the leg will come back first, because there is far more control needed to work the hand and fingers. But, as the brain re-learns to use the muscles again that control will return, albeit at different rates to different muscle groups.

I am convinced that the guy who will get her fit again is james, he really knows what he is doing, he pushes her, and he is enthusing her about what she is doing. After she was rather shot down in flames yesterday it was good to see that real grit and determination back today.

I tried to explain to cleo that there will be days over the next weeks, months even, when she feels she has not made progress, and it all gets too much, but she must not worry about that: we all have bad days. I hope she understood that.

She is so keen to get mobile that having got her wheelchair back now, she wants to start moving herself. The only problem is that because only one arm works, she only has driving power on one wheel: result circular motion. To see her trying to drive the chair straight but only going in circles was funny. Finally she worked out that she can maoeuvre better going backwards than forwards, so now everyone on the ward has to watch out for this mad woman in a wheelchair going in backward circles...like bumper cars!!

When I got the kids to the hospital this afternoon we took cleo off to the restaurant for coffee again, and its good to see them happy together. Hannah thinks it's great fun to push the chair, and almost managed to amputate Sarah's leg from behind going through a door. I am sure the novelty will wear off soon enough, but for now I am pleased that they are wanting to be so involved.

I seem to have started a little thing here of quoting words from songs I like, and today, I was thinking about which one.

This is how feel today..summed up by one if the greatest songs ever written. And the sentiment within it says everything. Read the words.

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon And Garfunkel

"When you're weary
Feeling small
When tears are in your eyes
I will dry them all

I'm on your side
When times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

When you're down and out
When you're on the street
When evening falls so hard
I will comfort you

I'll take your part
When darkness comes
And pain is all around
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down

Sail on Silver Girl,
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way

See how they shine
If you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind"

Always makes me cry, it's so powerful and such a wonderfully crafted song.

No comments: