On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Day 25 - There is a world out there

Its funny how 24 hours, and the simplest of things can make such a difference. As I said, last night cleo was getting all emotional prior to the end of visiting. Well, before we left we put her to bed, rather than letting the nurses do it; so she was all tucked in before we left.

Tonight, we did the same, and she texted me after we got home to say she was feeling far more comfortable with that, and it made her feel more relaxed. So, we need to do that as much as we can. although it won't happen over the weekend because I am working, as usual, and need to leave about 4.30pm each day.

I got to the hospital about 1pm today, and cleo said she had a headache. I have to say headaches are scary right now, even this one, which was one of those fuzzy headaches caused by too much heat and not enough fresh air. cleo admitted that she hates any kind of headache at present, which of course is understandable. She was given some painkillers, and I took her for a wander through the hospital, ending up at the coffe bar by the main doors. Their coffee is quite good, and we sat and watched the comings and goings for half an hour, while we drank the coffee. We then moved to the entranceway, where cleo got some much needed fresh air, and I think this helped to relieve the headache. As I pushed her into the entrance hall she looked through the glass, and remarked "Ahhhh there is a world out there after all". It is all too easy to become insular in a hospital ward, especially when, like cleo you have been there for nearly 4 weeks. As much as i can, I have tried to keep cleo involved in home life, obviously with the kids as well. But I make a point of asking her things, that she would normally do in the house, and I took some Christmas cards for her to write, which she did. She cannot let the real world escape her, or when she does come out, the acclimatisation will be even more difficult.

Eventually we wandered back to the ward, and I left to collect the girls. We had decided that yesterdays arrangement of eating in the restaurant worked quite well (saved having to cook dinner when we got home, which is too late really) and so we did the same tonight. I had bought a puzzle book as we had fun last night completing a crossword, and this evening we did the same. It's funny, but when we are together out of the ward, we still all manage to laugh and that is good. So, dinner over, and cleo returned to the ward, and put to bed, me and the girls came home. I think we were all relieved that cleo was more relaxed about the end of visiting, and she was laughing as we left.

Although I haven't mentioned it cleo has been continuing her physio every day, and James is working on some specific targets for Christmas at home. Some standing exercises, to help her stability, and improving her movements into and out of the chair, bed and toilet is also important. James also asked her to start trying to stimulate her hand, by simply rubbing it, as I think he has concerns that there is no response there yet. Even so, I guess its too early to make a judgement on that one, so I won't.

Back On My Feet Again

The Michael Bolton song ought to become cleos anthem really.

Gonna break these chains around me
Gonna learn to fly again
May be hard, may be hard
But I'll do it
When I'm back on my feet again

Soon these tears will all be dryin'
Soon these eyes will see the sun
Might take time, might take time
But I'll see it
When I'm back on my feet again

CHORUS
When I'm back on my feet again
I'll walk proud down this street again
And they'll all look at me again
And they'll see that I'm strong

Gonna hear the children laughing
Gonna hear the voices sing
Won't be long, won't be long
Till I hear them
When I'm back on my feet again

Gonna feel the sweet light of heaven
Shining down its light on me
One sweet day, one sweet day
I will feel it
When I'm back on my feet again

CHORUS

And I'm not gonna crawl again
I will learn to stand tall again
No I'm not gonna fall again
Cos I'll learn to be strong

Soon these tears will all be dryin'
Soon these eyes will see the sun
Won't be long, won't be long
Till I see it
When I'm back on my feet again
When I'm back on my feet again
I'll be back on my feet again

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can understand to some extent what disabilty can involve , since being diagnosed with MS i have gone downhill in last year and will be no doubt be using wheelchair on and off for the rest of my life.
I have had many simple adaptions done to flat which has helped me keep some independence and dignity.
I do hope all goes well for you both..