On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Friday, December 16, 2005

Day 26 - So much to do...so little time

Today has been a complete nightmare.

Life, as they say, must go on, and it just happened to be one of those days when everything needed doing. That in itself would not have been too bad, except that cleo was having a bad day emotionally. She started off well enough, having a shower (standing of course takes a lot right now, and as her stability is a little suspect there needs to be one person in attendance during the shower) , and I popped to the hospital at about 1pm before getting the kids for a flying visit. Although we didnt have too much time she was ok when I left.

I had spent the morning doing bits and pieces and all the things which cleo would normally have well organised: washing, ironing, hoovering, bedmaking, and so on! Then it was home to get the children and back to the hospital. Hannah was staying till 6pm, being collected by her dad, but Sarah is away this weekend having a 2 day intensive driving course before she takes her driving test on Monday. It just happens that the weekend course is with her uncle, who runs a driving school, but over in Surrey, and so I had to meet him with her, and then head off to work.

I could really do without work this weekend, but unfortunately the bills need paying amd Christmas looms, so no choice! Anyway, that meant that cleo hardly saw any of me or sarah today, and as we were driving up the M2 I got a text: "feeling really depressed". There then followed several text exchanges and it seems that the lady in the bed next to her is going home soon, that didn't help, allied to the fact i am working, which means less time at the hospital, and so it becomes a spiral. I spoke to her a couple of times and there were tears too. This hurts me so much because I feel powerless to do anything about it. I just want to pick her up and bring her home; once home she will be fine. Untill then I guess we have to deal with this, although that is not so easy. Of course as Christmas draws nearer the days seem to drag even more for cleo, she just needs to be at home, with family around her, and I know she is scared that something might stop her being home next weekend. I won't let that happen of course, but even so, knowing what she's like, a natural worrier, she won't relax until we close that door on the world on Christmas Eve.

Consent Exchanged

By way of a change I include a poem tonight, in the classic sonnet form like many written by Shakespeare. This one written by me.

This all-consuming love, which keeps us here
Consent exchanged with ne'er a spoken word
A mutual vision of the life we want to share
Ambition set, that will not be deterred.
And like the blacksmith working with his tools
Each day we forge a stronger steel-like bond
Our lives become enriched with dazzling jewels
And further yet, we still must go beyond.
The heights of yesterday we will exceed
And ever higher make the power exchange
Our promise this to each we will succeed
But only for the better will we change
And like the heated metal takes its form
Our power exchange is every day reborn.

No comments: