On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Day 18 - A Step In the Right Direction.


There are always highs and lows. We have said this many times this last two-and-a-bit-weeks. Today was just such a day.

Started off this morning with a visit from Occupational Therapy (OT) to assess the house for cleo being at home. Various measurements taken, and looking at access and how she will get to and from the toilet, and whether the sofa bed is practical. All these can be overcome, and it seems now 99.99% certain they will allow cleo home for Christmas. There is still concern that she may benefit more from being back in the hospital for another couple of weeks after Christmas, and cleo understands that, but of course it will be even harder to go back. The "dog-leg" turn we have into the bathroom from the kitchen may present a problem, because a wheelchair won't get round that, as well as being down a step. however OT say that James can work on getting cleo able to take a few steps, even with help, and that should allow her into the bathroom. Of course, if that's not possible, we can always use a commode. That compromise is well worth it just to be at home.

More progress...

So onto the hospital, and arrangements are already made to meet a friend there, who also visited last week, and at 2pm to see James to practise the as yet untried transfer into the car, and out. While Alan and I go off to eat lunch cleo goes to physio with James, and he gets her up and walking between parallel bars. Alan is impressed with her improvement since last week.

So I collect the car from the car park, and get round to the entrance near the physio department, meeting James, Alan, and cleo outside. James explains the transfer, and shows us how its done. Cleo manages to get into the car quite easily and out into the chair again.

Then we try it with me assisting and again the task is completed without a hitch. Once cleo was in the passenger seat she grinned, looked at us all and said "Right c'mon, let's go. Take me home!". Another milestone along the road to recovery, and one which from a mobility point of view, is very important.

James took cleo back into physio (it was cold outside, but she wouldn't give in to that) and I parked the car. When I arrived back at the gym cleo had been fitted with a lightweight leg brace ( a simple plastic affair which supports the foot, ankle and lower leg) and was up and walking the length of the bars again. Now with the brace she found it easier than before, but even so, walking 15 or 20 paces was a real strain. At the end, although obviously tired from the physical effort she was happy, and smiling.

Alan and I took cleo back to the ward and I then had to dash off and collect the girls. I left cleo with Alan for them to chat, and when I got back they were still chatting! cleo also wrote a little note for all those who have sent her get well wishes, and i have added it at the start of this entry, in her own handwriting.

We spent a nice hour or so after Alan had gone, just being together, and cleo seemed very content. She came with us to the ward exit as we left and suddenly as we walked away, she burst into tears, floods of uncontrollable tears. Now they do say that strokes can cause emotions to go into free fall sometimes, and cleo of course was very tired as well. It was just awful though to see her crying like that after such a successful day. She did say to me that she can cope with the days, but the nights are so long, and boring, and she won't be comfortable till she gets home.

Well, it won't be long my darling, and then we can have you back here, as good as new!

The girls went to the car, and I took cleo back to the ward, and settled her down. I have to report that like lastnight I secretly called her just now, and she seemed fine again. She said goodnight on the phone to Hannah and Sarah, and that probably helped a bit too.

So, even though it was a roller coaster day that hardly stopped at all, I think overall it was a good one for cleo's rehabilitation, if less so for her emotions.

Theres only one song for tonight, as cleo got in the car today, and sadly today was also the 25th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. So.. try this one.

Drive My Car

Asked a girl what she wanted to be,
She said, baby can’t you see?
I wanna be famous, a star of the screen,
But you can do something in between.
Baby, you can drive my car,
yes I’m gonna be a star,
Baby, you can drive my car,
and maybe I’ll love you.

I told that girl that my prospects were good,
She said, baby it’s understood,
Working for peanuts is all very fine,
But I can show you a better time.

Baby, you can drive my car,
yes I’m gonna be a star,
Baby, you can drive my car,
and maybe I’ll love you.
Beep beep mm, beep beep yeh!
Baby, you can drive my car,
yes I’m gonna be a star,
Baby, you can drive my car,
and maybe I’ll love you.

I told that girl I could start right away,
And she said, listen, babe,
I’ve got something to say,
Got no car, and it’s breaking my heart,
But I’ve found a driver, that’s a start.
Baby, you can drive my car,
yes I’m gonna be a star,
Baby, you can drive my car,
and maybe I’ll love you.
Beep beep mm, beep beep yeh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story is amazing. Reading this diary of Cleo's struggles and Your devotion to her touched me deeply and brought me to tears several times. I wish Cleo a swift and safe recovery and hope that You get to bring her home for the holidays. Best wishes and happy holidays to both of you!