On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Day 31 - Wishing on a Star

Today was a very big day for cleo, and us too. I had arranged for her to have her hair cut and have new nails fitted, in a local hair/nail bar.

So, it was an early arrival at the hospital at 10am to collect cleo, and bring her home for a cup of tea before going to the hairdressers. We are still not good at getting her to and from the car, and I think I need to get a little more tuition from james, the physio, about the best way to support cleo when she is walking or standing.

However, we arrived at the hairdressers, and they first of all cut her hair, making it far tidier than it was, as it was getting a bit overgrown! Then, into the nail bar and the girl there, I have to say was brilliant! Not only did she do a great job of the nails, but she engaged cleo in some 2 hours of chat and coversation, which i know that cleo appreciated very much.

Cleo wanted something rather seasonal on her new nail extensions, and chose deep red with gold stars. These turned out to be three shooting stars on each nail: each one a work of art i have to say. Watching it done it is quite a job: layer on layer of colour and a real artistic touch putting the stars on.

She pointed out that for each shooting star cleo had a wish, so it was three wishes for each nail! That'll keep her going into next year!

After the nail bar it was home for lunch, and a relaxing few hours at home, while the girls had put up the decorations, and dressed the tree. Suddenly it all felt a bit more like Christmas was coming!

Although cleo is still rather unsteady, at least between us we can get her to take a few steps, and that certainly makes moving around the house easier. What i did see today was that as soon as cleo came into the house, our house, she relaxed: at home you can be yourself, you dont have to be on your guard, and you have nothing to prove. As I have said so many times, we are happy in each other's company, and when we are together, nothing else matters.

I still find it a strain having cleo here, worrying about her being ok, and her not hurting herself or falling over. With time, and our teamwork that will go away, and we will become better accustomed to dealing with the obstacles.

It Must Be Love

For those "oldies" among us, this song, originally by Labi Siffre says what I feel about cleo

I never thought I'd miss you
Half as much as I do
And I never thought I'd feel this way
The way I feel
About you
As soon as I wake up
Every night, every day
I know that it's you I need
To take the blues away

It must be love, love, love
It must be love, love, love
Nothing more, nothing less
Love is the best

How can it be that we can
Say so much without words?
Bless you and bless me
Bless the bees
And the birds
I've got to be near you
Every night, every day
I couldn't be happy
Any other way

It must be love, love, love
It must be love, love, love
Nothing more, nothing less
Love is the best

As soon as I wake up
Every night, every day
I know that it's you I need
To take the blues away

It must be love, love, love
It must be love, love, love
Nothing more, nothing less
Love is the best

It must be love, love, love..

No comments: