On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Day 20 - Marking time.

Today was a bit of a non-event really.

You see there is no physio, or occupational therapy at weekends, and so the wards are quiet, and there is little to keep patients interested. Having said that, when I arrived at the hospital today about lunchtime, I found cleo fast asleep in her chair. She had told me earlier that she had not slept well last night, and this, allied to the fact that she has worked so hard all week probably meant she was totally shattered. She certainly looked tired.

I kissed her awake, and she smiled at me, one of those loving smiles that makes my heart miss a beat. She told me she was having trouble texting with her phone; probably because it's quite small. We swapped phones and sim cards, and cleo suddenly found herself better able to send text messages. Now I am even more inundated than before, but at least I can understand them now!

This weekend we are just marking time, allowing cleo to gain strength, and rest before Monday, when she will come home for a few hours. A restful couple of days is certainly a good idea in my view. We don't want her too tired for Monday.

Raise Me Up

So, with little to do we just went for a walk around the hospital and ended up having coffee in the restaurant. At this time a friend of ours called cleo's phone and they had a chat, which was nice. cleo is suddenly interested in this blog: not having been in a position to take much notice recently, there are friends who keep saying they have read it, and follow it, and suddenly today she wanted to know what I have been writing. I explained a little, and suggested that it was meant for her to read as a record when she comes home.

Having told her that I was quoting lyrics of songs which meant something to me, or both of us, she has asked that I use the lyrics to a song recorded by Westlife, although written by Secret Garden. The song, Raise Me Up has a meaning for both of us. She used it in her personal blog, as a message to me to say how much she loved me, and I have to admit that I did not know the song until she played it to me. I have to say that the sentiment in those words, from her to me reduced me to tears, and still leaves a lump in my throat when I hear it.

So, for cleo here it is.

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;
When troubles come and my heart burdened be;
Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,
Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;
You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;
I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;
You raise me up... To more than I can be.

You raise me up... To more than I can be.

Thank you little one for that thought. It is things like that which make our love so special.

No comments: