On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Friday, December 02, 2005

Day 12 - Meet the team?

So, nearly two weeks along the road and we finally get a meeting scheduled for us all with the supposed complete care team. Should have been a Doctor, a nurse, a Speech therapist, Physiotherapy, and Occupational therapy. Great play was made of this and just how important they all believed it was that any questions or concerns we had were addressed by the care team as a group.

So, having made all sorts of arrangements, and taken the girls out of school early, we arrived at the hospital about 1.45pm. Cleo was in good spirits, and today she was dressed, having done that as practice earlier in the day with the occupational therapy department. It is important that while there is some paralysis, and balance is even slightly affected that patients are taught the best, and safest way to do even simple things, like put on socks, or pull on trousers, because unless one learns that, a fall or similar could present a major problem.

So, we await the "team", and only 2 people turn up.

I am livid to say the least!

Along with all this the appointment made to see the consultant in charge of cleo's care had left a message on my answer machine last night to cancel the appointment we had with him next Wednesday. I already had it in my mind to try and sort this because the secretary's phone was on voicemail all morning.

By this time I have this vision that they really don't care, or can't be bothered.

We had our meeting with James the physio (top guy!!) and Angela from Occupational therapy, who arranged to come and see our house to organise any additions/alterations that may be needed once cleo comes home. James did a good job of explaining to the girls about rehabilitation, and the timescales for recovery, but frankly the fact that what is promised regards seeing the whole team, and getting questions answered, not being followed through tells me that something is fundamentally wrong with the system.

While we were talking about the possibility of Christmas at home, cleo got very upset, as did the girls, because she cannot bear the thought of not being home at that time, and the girls I know are the same.

Anyway, the meeting concluded, and as james had to go elsewhere before doing cleo's physio, we all escaped to the cafe outside the ward for coffee. The girls pushed cleo on ahead while I stopped to talk with the ward clerk, whom I had earlier told about the cancelled consultant meeting, and by a stroke of luck, who walked past? The Consultant. I was tempted to pin him against the wall, but thought better of it. Anyway, he offered to see me there and then, but I declined, as cleo's brother also wanted to be at the meeting with him. I agreed Monday afternoon at three pm. So maybe we will get some definitive answers at that time.

Back to the ward after coffee, and I had to leave for work, but the girls stayed, and went with cleo to see her doing her physio.

I called the hospital this evening about 11.30 to get them to pass a message to cleo, and was told she had a tearful moment because she had a minor fall while in the toilet. Staff nurse assured me she was ok, but, even though I agreed with cleo not to, i think i will call in and give her a hug on my way home before I sleep in the morning.

Eternal flame

Close your eyes, give me your hand, darlin'
Do you feel my heart beating
Do you understand
Do you feel the same
Or am I only dreaming
Is this burning
An eternal flame

I believe it's meant to be, darlin'
I watch you when you are sleeping
You belong with me
Do you feel the same
Or am I only dreaming
Is this burning
An eternal flame

No comments: