On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Day 130 - Note of Caution.

Melanie made her last visit before her holiday today, as she is away now for a couple of weeks, but has agreed to contact us again on her return so that she can follow up with more manipulation if required depending on James' workload.

Of course this means that until 5th April it is up to us to do the manipulation, as we don't see James until then. The referral made to the DART team (Emma was going to contact us) has not produced any contact yet.

cleo and I both agreed that we will give the ALA a try, however, a comment left on the entry for yesterday was as follows:

"As a doctor I have very serious reservations about your proposed actions to rehabilitate cleo. In particular, I should advise gradually increasing walking times rather than the use of a treadmill, which, by increasing any hypertension she may have (and I do not know if she has any), could be dangerous. Please take advice from professionals- doctors, physiotherapists and occupational therapist and do NOT do it "Your Way". You may well regret it if you do and the important thing is cleo's SAFE rehabilitation, and NOT via your layman's researches."
Dr John

I am grateful that someone has taken an interest, because many within cleo's care team have not, obviously. Most of them are aware of the idea of the treadmill, as it has been something we have been looking at for some time. James himself (the neurophysiotherapist) has used one within her rehabilitation. However I do understand the note of caution, and will take further advice. cleo's welfare and recovery is my sole focus, and it may be a sad indictment of the type of care which we are (or are not) receiving that I have felt the need to try and move things forward as I have.

For the record, cleos blood pressure is monitored regularly and is considered "normal"[115/85] as is her resting pulse rate [66]. There is NO question of me pushing her past any limits that are unreasonable, and that would never happen.

I think that gradually increasing walking times can be achieved via the treadmill, and we know the speed which James uses his treadmill. However, again I am prepared to accept good advice, but would add that if one does not take a lead in their own rehabilitation, the natural will to recover may be lost, and the lack of drive shown by the care teams charged with that responsibility for the most part soon shows. Unfortunately this for me, is the way of the NHS today.

Dr John, I thank you for your comments which we of course take on board.

Keep reading and please comment again.

No comments: