On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Day 59 - Courage...

Courage in Adversity

This morning, cleo cleared up the kitchen. Now that may not sound like much, but for her it was a major triumph; she took a long time, and loaded the dishwasher, cleared up the worktops, and put things away. For someone who cannot walk properly that shows not only huge courage, but massive intent, and absolute focus. Her life is driven by the need to look after people: me, and the girls. She needs to do these things. At the moment that is a virtual impossibility, but I am moved to tears almost by the way she harnessed the drive that is cleo to force herself to do this.

The last 8 weeks or so she has fought her way back from being a victim, to a survivor. She will walk again, there is no doubt, and she will get better, and the vibrant person that is my cleo will shine bright again, like the star that she is.

I cannot express how much I love this woman, she is an example to all those who find themselves in difficult situations. Never lose sight of what you want, of what you must do, and where you want to go. If you want something badly enough, you can get it. She will.

Courage of Conviction

All too often we say things, in the heat of the moment, or to appease another, or to let them hear what they want to hear. Having said those things we instantly regret them, because we didn't really mean what we said. A long time ago I told cleo she was going to be my wife. I know that this last few weeks she has worried about whether that will ever happen. I have to say that I do not make false promises, and when I say something I mean it.

Today I got the chance to demonstrate that conviction I have always had about marrying cleo: we went to the registry office and legally declared our intention to be man and wife, which means that we can officially marry on 14th February as planned. Not once has the thought ever crossed my mind that we would not. Everyone (except a few lucky people) find they suffer setbacks in their lives; we could run away from them, or we can face them. I have never run away from my promises, and I never will. I gain strength from cleo's love for me, and I hope she does the same. I hurt when I am away from her, and I hope she feels the same. I have the courage of my conviction to her, and the kids, and I KNOW she has the same.

You Are My Destiny

You are my destiny
You share my reverie
You are my happiness
That's what you are

You have my sweet caress
You share my loneliness
You are my dream come true
That's what you are

Heaven and heaven alone
Can take your love from me
'Cause I'd be a fool
To ever leave you dear
And a fool I'd never be

You are my destiny
You share my reverie
You're more than life to me
That's what you are

You are my destiny
You share my reverie
You are my happiness
That's what you are.

by Paul Anka

No comments: