On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Day 49 - 7 Weeks and Counting

Today marks exactly 7 weeks since the stroke.
What a topsy turvy time it's been.

Weekends are always difficult for us because of my work, and today was of course no different. I got home after work this morning, and felt guilty that I couldnt get cleo downstairs for a while but I was very tired, and needed to sleep. I hope she understood that.

However we did have a little time and I get the impression that she is making progress emotionally too, which is no doubt driven to some extent by the physical improvements she has made this week as well. Her outlook seems a little less "flat" because she can see improvement in her walking, and this naturally buoys her up mentally.

I have tried to at least manipulate cleo's arm and shoulder a few times this weekend as suggested by James on Friday, and although there seems no response we must persevere with this work, because the best advice is that this is a requirement for rehabilitation, and stops the muscles from shortening, which is a major consideration in paralysis sufferers.

In The News

As we move into the beginning of 2006 and cleo's recovery moves forward I am suddenly aware of the fact that strokes are more common than I ever realised. Right now there are 2 major news stories being covered which revolve around people having suffered strokes. The first is the illness of Ariel Sharon, the Israeli Prime Minister, who has been ill for some time now, but whose condition has deteriorated recently since he had a stroke. Then just this weekend I see that Lord Stratford, (previously the Labour MP Tony Banks) suffered a "massive stroke" in Florida this week, and has died as a result.

Of course one of the highest profile stroke related deaths recently was that of Lord Lichfield.

No comments: