On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Day 80 - G'day Mate!

A speech therapist who doesn't say much, it's a bit of an oxymoron, but it's true. We had a visit from the care team speech therapist (Emily) whom I had not met before as I was out when she called last week. Still, at least when she spoke she had a nice "Queen's English" accent, very well spoken. That in itself was more comforting than the speech therapist who visited cleo when she was in the hospital. She was, believe it or not, Australian. Now, I ask you, how on earth can someone who sounds like they just walked out of Ramsay Street (G'day mate, how the drongo are ya?, wanna tinny before you visit the dunny?) possibly improve the speech of someone in England? So, on that score the community care team wins out!

Main event of today was the delivery of the promised bath seat; an ingenious battery-powered device able to lower and raise a person into and out of the bath. This evening cleo was duly lowered into a hot bath, and then, because she is never satisfied she wanted to slide off the seat which was then removed so she could lounge in the bath as usual. I am sure that that's not quite how its supposed to happen, but hey, who are we if not ingenious? We did all that, and then managed to get her back on the seat to lift her out of the bath. At least my back needn't suffer any more.

Physio this afternoon, and I left cleo there while I went and did some shopping, after which she tells me James had her walking on a treadmill (first time) which I would love to have seen, and to have had access to the speed control (evil grin).

Tomorrow we are off out to do some final shopping for next Tuesday, and to finalise the menu at the reception venue. Hopefully by tomorrow evening the arrangements for Tuesday will all be completed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello MG and cleo,
Just wanted to say i'm following your progress daily and i'm still in awe of every tiny improvement!! Good luck and all my best wishes for next week.

Lots of love
flamey xxx

Anonymous said...

any one would think i am a spoilt brat..not fair (pouts)i just like to wollow in a bath

Anonymous said...

I also follow you progress daily.

pg_JE xx