On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Day 78 - Surprise.

After work last night I drove home knowing we had the whole week ahead, and while there is lots to do, we can do these things together, and all the time we are together, we are OK. That's how we are.

Physio with James was booked for 9.00 am so no chance to sleep till later. We set off after the girls had gone to school, and James worked again on cleos arm: he was pleased to note that there was more flexibility in the elbow, as a result of cleo working on her arm all weekend. I think most of the battle is simply about perseverance. If you work on it all the time it will improve, and for us the main focus right now is not to let the arm and hand become claw-like and immobile. Even hannah has asked to be involved in this, and she is going to help her mum manipulate the hand, and wrist to keep it supple, which of course will help, and also allows her to feel more involved. That too is very important.

Once we had finished physio, we stayed at the hospital and had breakfast in the canteen which was nice. Then it was home for a sleep, until early evening when cleo had started cooking dinner on her own till I got up to help her. I

Now, before she had the stroke, whenever i got home from work, especially in the mornings after a night shift, cleo would always meet me at the door; it was a kind of ritual we had. Since 21st November of course that has not been possible. When I got home this morning, I called upstairs and, getting no answer, I thought she was asleep. The girls were both in their rooms getting ready for school so I thought I would make a cup of tea before going upstairs. Walking into the kitchen I heard a little voice from the bathroom: "Are you here already?" Cleo had come down the stairs with Sarah's help and was planning to meet me at the door, but I had got home a few minutes too early, and caught her in the toilet! Still that didn't matter. It was a wonderful surprise that she was up, dressed and downstairs.

Thank you my dear cleo.

No comments: