On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Day 145 and 146 - Independence

As with many of the strides forward that cleo has made since leaving hospital, the most significant ones often happen as a matter of course, and it's only afterwards that we realise the importance of each one.

Saturdays of course I get home from work in the morning and have to sleep. Cleo woke me this afternoon and proudly told me she had cooked her own breakfast today: bacon and eggs. I could tell she was pleased with herself although i didn't have that much time to talk about it as I am always rushing to get ready to go back to work.

Tonight (Saturday) Sarah was out and so cleo spent a few hours at home on her own. That also is a great stride forward, and I am so proud of her that she is meeting these personal milestones head-on. A couple of months ago it would have been unthinkable for us to leave her alone at home, even in the day, and now she is confident enough in her own abilities to cook food (a kitchen can be a dangerous place for those with any kind of disability, and cleo has rather shied away from cooking and things because of this) and to be left alone.

No comments: