On monday 21st November 2005 my partner cleo had a stroke. Since then we are bashing our heads against all the problems of rehabilitation and care that most people never encounter.This blog will be a record of our road to recovery and the thoughts I have along the way.....

Friday, April 14, 2006

Day 144 - Lookin' Good.

It's funny how one's perception can suddenly change, or be changed by another.

James has a poster on his wall which says something like "Healing goes at it's own pace. Your body knows whats right for you"

Last night when we went to dinner cleo had the opportunity to get dressed up, new clothes which we had bought for her, and she looked great. I put that down to the positive mental attitude, but today, well, let me explain.

She got up and put on a pair of black jogging trousers and a tee shirt, nothing special. I was already up, and heard her coming down the stairs. I went to meet her and i immediately noticed a change. Without sounding like I had been seeing her as "different" for the last 4 months or so, it struck me she looked more normal, radiant even. This was the cleo I knew before the stroke. I cannot say quite what it was, but the spark was back. The walk is still unstable, the hand doesn't work, but she sort of glowed. It was as if she had rediscovered herself. She was smiling again, and it wasn't that nervous laugh that she has had since November, but the "cleo smile", the one that is all her, and nobody else.

I still can't quite put my finger on it, the change I mean; maybe sometimes we shouldn't question these things too much, but simply accept them as they are, and be thankful.

Well, I am, thankful I mean.

No comments: